On June 24, 2022, the Supreme Court overruled Roe v. Wade and Planned Parenthood of Southeastern Pennsylvania v. Casey – decisions that had been the law of the land for decades. Why? Because the conservative justices believe that politicians and not pregnant people have the right to determine whether a pregnancy is carried to term.
Dobbs is a painfully patriarchal decision. And it is not the end. Justice Thomas’s concurrence clearly trained the crosshairs on Griswold (contraception), Lawrence (fundamental LGBTQI+ equality), and Obergefell (marriage equality). This is exactly the kind of analysis champions like Justice Ginsburg spent their entire careers opposing, undermining, and eventually overcoming.
Now that the Supreme Court has stripped away our right to an abortion, lower courts are our next line of defense. There are 120 judicial vacancies, and the Senate must move to fill every seat by the end of 2022.
The Senate must also expand the Supreme Court. This decision is the result of Republicans’ decades-long fight to resort to undermine democracy and install hyper-partisan judges on every level of our courts. We must restore balance by adding seats to the Court.
We have a duty — to justice, to the Constitution, and to each other — to fight back! We must take action to take back our courts by filling every lower courts vacancy by 2023, expanding the Supreme Court, and passing the Women’s Health Protection Act.
Here’s What You Can Do:
- Sign our petition calling on the Senate to take back our courts by filling every lower courts vacancy by 2023 and expanding the Supreme Court.
- Call your Senators and tell them to fill every vacancy, expand the court, and abolish the filibuster to pass the Women’s Health Protection Act!
- Donate to your local abortion fund. Abortion funds are now the first line of defense. Find your local abortion fund here.
- Share our campaign with your friends and family.
- Spread the word on social media using the hashtags #BansOffOurBodies, #FillEverySeat, #ExpandTheCourt and #CourtsMatter.
- State courts will soon become ground zero in the fight for reproductive freedom. Pledge to be a state courts voter.
Call your Senators today at 202-224-3121 and tell them Congress must step in to stop a lawless court from stripping away our rights.
My name is [name], and I’m a constituent from [city], calling to ask you to fill every judicial vacancy, support expanding the Supreme Court, and pass the Women’s Health Protection Act (WHPA)!
In light of the Supreme Court’s decision to destroy abortion rights, I am asking you to help take back our courts by filling every federal judicial vacancy with nominees committed to equal justice and expanding the Supreme Court.
The lawless and hyper-partisan conservative majority has already started stripping away our rights, starting with overturning Roe v. Wade. We must fight for abortion rights, and we can start by codifying Roe and passing the Women’s Health Protection Act. The Dobbs decision has opened the door for the Supreme Court to overturn other important decisions, and we cannot allow them to go any further. Congress must step in to protect the constitutional rights of all people.